Kenya’s top homicide detective, Martin Nyuguto, has recently joined the investigative team delving into the untimely demise of marathon world record holder, Kelvin Kiptum.

A comprehensive effort by detectives from the DCI has been underway to retrace Kiptum’s steps leading up to the fatal accident that also claimed the life of his coach, Garvais Hakizimana.

Gathering information from three hotels frequented by the renowned athlete that night has been pivotal for the investigation.

Kelvin Kiptum, celebrated for his unparalleled dedication and track prowess, spent his final hours engaged in what seemed like routine activities, oblivious to the impending tragedy.

First on the itinerary was the Talex Inn Restaurant Pub and Car Wash, situated along the picturesque Iten-Eldoret road, a popular spot among athletes and locals alike.

CCTV footage retrieved from the establishment captured Kiptum’s Toyota Premio entering the premises, where he was seen conversing with an unidentified individual before departing for an undisclosed destination.

Subsequently, Kiptum and his companions proceeded to The Well Irish Pub and Restaurant at Rupa Mall, as noted by Jeremy Kipkorir, a supervisor, marking their arrival and departure times.

Their journey culminated at The Grand Miarmir Guest House in Annex, located off the Eldoret-Nairobi highway, where they indulged in a meal, with Kiptum opting for his preferred dish of meat and boiled bananas.

Director Elphas Sitienei confirmed their presence at the guest house, highlighting their choice to spend time in the VIP lounge.

Tragedy struck as the trio left The Grand Miarmir Guest House around 10:16 p.m., with Kiptum settling the bill via mobile money, embarking on a drive towards the training base in Chepkorio, Elgeyo Marakwet.

The fatal accident occurred at Flax Junction, a mere 36 kilometers from their last known location, where Kiptum’s Toyota Premio veered off the road at high speed, colliding with a tree in a devastating crash.

Despite investigations ruling out mechanical defects or adverse weather conditions, the cause of the accident remains under scrutiny, with insights from the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) and local police regarding the vehicle’s condition and the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The site of the accident, now adorned with flowers and a wooden poster labeled ‘Kiptum Road’, serves as a somber reminder of the tragic events of that fateful night.

Leave a Reply